Here’s how it went down:
I was on my computer when the thunderstorm began, and like any smart girl would do, I shut the thing down because I didn’t want it to get fried in the event of a lightning strike.
We lived out in the woods, and often lost power during these storms, and I remembered that I had wet clothes in the wash that I needed to get into the dryer quickly, just in case this storm did knock out the power.
I went down to the basement as the thunder rumbled and transferred the wet clothes into the dryer.
Like I had done hundreds of times before, I reached out and pushed the start button — and that’s when it happened.
I remember a bright blue flash of light, a searing pain in my legs, and the image of a lightbulb winking out above my head, and then everything was black.
I am not sure how long I was unconscious, but when I sat up in the dark basement, legs throbbing, I was about five feet away from the dryer I had just been standing against.
I didn’t know it then, but the force of the flash of lightning lifted me up off the ground and threw me back. I had landed on my butt and then fell back and hit the back of my head, which knocked me out.
I was scared, in pain, and alone in the house.
I remember a long, slow scoot up the stairs on my butt, because both of my legs below the knee were on fire with pain, and I couldn’t feel my feet.
Just as I reached the top of the stairs and fell back into the hallway, my mom arrived home from work and asked me what was wrong.
“I think I got electrocuted,” I told her.
It was one week after my nineteenth birthday.